Oct 20, 2018
BUS 145 - Introduction to Supply Chain Management
An entry level course that explains what supply chain management is and why it is critically important to an organization's success. Supply chain management includes all of the activities that corporations must coordinate to get the right products and services to their customers in the quantities that they require and when they need them to be delivered. Topics that are covered are purchasing operations, purchasing policies and procedures, supply management integration, category management strategies, supplier evaluation and selection, supplier quality management, supplier development, worldwide sourcing, strategic cost management, supply chain analysis tools/techniques, strategic cost management, negotiations, contract management, purchasing laws and ethics.
3 Class Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the purchasing process (how it works) and of purchasing policies.
- Demonstrate knowledge of how supply chain management helps corporations gain a competitive advantage.
- Select, explain and justify appropriate supplier selection decisions and the subsequent development, management and the ongoing evaluation of a company's suppliers.
- Demonstrate orally and in writing an understanding of tactical, operational and strategic supply chain responsibilities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of cost management concepts.
- Articulate the importance of documentation such as request for quotes, specifications, contracts and negotiation techniques.
- Demonstrate an understanding of purchasing law and some provisions of the Uniform Commercial Code, antitrust laws and legislation affecting global sourcing decisions.
- Articulate an understanding of the importance of acting in an ethical manner in purchasing and supply chain operations.
- Demonstrate an understanding that corporations are being held accountable today for their supply management actions as they impact sustainability and social responsibility initiatives across the globe.
- Better understand the business/career opportunities available in supply chain operations.
[Add to Portfolio]