MAT 127 - Mathematical Literacy II
Mathematical and statistical reasoning are explored through topics in everyday life. It integrates quantitative literacy with percents, probability, mathematical modeling, and statistical thinking. Concepts are investigated with hands-on activities using medical, environmental, and financial examples. Communicating mathematics will be developed in this course.
Prerequisites: MAT 091 Mathematical Literacy I, MAT 093 (4-credits) Integrated Arithmetic and Basic Algebra, or equivalent
3 Class Hours
Objectives of the Course:
1. Scaling factors and area unit conversion.
2. Calculating interest rates and estimation.
3. Calculating with percentages.
4. Applied uses of percentages.
5. Understand Absolute and relative change.
6. Understanding designs of statistical studies.
7. Reading visual display of data.
8. Understanding visual display of data.
9. Using spreadsheet to organize data.
10. Reading, interpreting, and creating bar and pie charts.
11. Reading contingency tables.
12. Reading and creating statistical graphs of quantitative date.
13. Understanding and calculating measure of central tendency.
14. Understanding and calculating standard deviation.
15. Understanding and calculating weighted averages.
16. Understanding linear models with words, tables, graphs, and equations.
17. Understanding piecewise linear models.
18. Approximating data with linear models, scatter plots and lines of best fit.
19. Understanding basics of exponential models.
20. Modeling situations with exponential equations.
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Interpret and draw inferences from mathematical models such as formulas, graphs, tables and schematics.
2. Represent mathematical information symbolically, visually, numerically and verbally.
3. Employ quantitative methods such as arithmetic, algebra, geometry, or statistics to solve problems.
4. Estimate and check mathematical results for reasonableness.
5. Recognize the limitations of mathematical and statistical methods.
[Add to Portfolio]