BIT 140 W - Business Communication
Practical application of language usage skills with emphasis on correct approach to and effective strategies for writing and editing business media. Focus topics include effective and proper use of business media (e-mail and internet correspondence, memoranda, letters, outlines, short reports, and other relevant business documents), effective use of reference materials (Gregg Reference Manual and internet-based reference resources), expansion of spelling and vocabulary repertoire, use of critical thinking and problem solving skills in the writing and editing of assigned business cases, and principles of document formatting/design.
3 Class Hours
Learning Outcomes of the Course:
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate correct usage in the mechanics of the English language (punctuation, numbers, spelling, plurals, possessives, hyphenations, abbreviations, and proper wording) both in written and oral communications according to the rules given in the Gregg Reference Manual.
2. Master the writing of communications dealing business office correspondence.
3. Submit all written communications projects in appropriate word-processed format.
4. Demonstrate effective written performance on all classwork, homework, and/or project assignments, at least eight of which (selected at random) will be graded during the semester.
5. Develop oral communication skills in order to communicate effectively within his/her professional environment.
6. Demonstrate effective communications abilities through written papers, oral presentations, and case studies.
[Add to Portfolio]